Saturday 16 March 2013

The Fates

This is a little poem based off a drawing we were shown during a seminar yesterday at my University. I decided to do it in villanelle format because it is a poetic form I have been very eager to pursue for a while now. As always, enjoy!

Canto I

As she whispered sweet vengeance- in ghostly prose-
From lips of sanguine and devils tongue.
The daggers blood ooze fueled his woes.

Alas he did quiver, as if to suppose.
He had seen his fate, freshly hung.
As she whispered sweet vengeance- in ghostly prose.

He screamed, "I am trapped, in Bluebeard's coves,
the victim of a deception sung!"
The daggers blood ooze fueled his woes

"M'lady I prithee that in my throes,
you shall not leave me on rafters strung!"
As she whispered sweet vengeance- in ghostly prose

"I cannot forsake you, for God only knows,
the justice I see in the breathless lung."
The daggers blood ooze fueled his woes.

"Are we the horrors, or Greek heroes
who through black envy, have been stung?"
As she whispered sweet vengeance- in ghostly prose-
The daggers blood ooze fueled his woes.

Canto II.

Behind her lips a smile bloomed,
which crept like ivy on castle wall,
as in her eyes, a flame consumed.

For as he panicked, she presumed,
he in foolish folly would fall.
Behind her lips a smile a bloomed.

She knew that for him Atropos loomed,
provoked by Hades cackling call.
As in her eyes, a flame consumed

Like enchantress, she knew she left him for damned,
and had made him her subservient thrall.
Behind her lips a smile bloomed.

As he was now finished she assumed,
that she could escape this heavenly hall.
As in her eyes the flame consumed.

When his ashes and skull were exhumed,
they only saw the maggots crawl.
For behind her lips a smile bloomed,
as in her eyes a flame consumed.


No comments:

Post a Comment